Subject: Checksum errors
From: Lynn Jennings <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 94 12:28:19 EDT

You might get checksum errors when switching from Amiga -> Blitz mode in the
following fashion:

(1) In Amiga mode, you begin reading or (more likely) writing a file, and
while the computer is still flushing buffers you
(2) Switch to Blitz mode, thus killing the OS, including disk activity, thus
creating a damaged block(s) on the device still being used.

To the avoid this problem in the future, you should wait before entering Blitz
mode until all disk activity stops.  Since there is no way of knowing this via
the OS, most programmers simply pause before they shutdown the OS for 3-5
seconds.  This provides sufficient delay for disks to stop spinning.  I
suspect that reading the Blitz manuals would have told you the same thing.

To (attempt to) repair the damage you have caused your hard disk, you need a
disk repair program such as the popular DiskSalv.  If you know a lot about
disk structure and the contents of any file(s) that were destroyed, you could
also attempt to do this yourself with a disk editor.  If you have an earlier
version of the OS, you might have diskdoctor in your C directory.  Delete it.
You're better off getting one of the many freeware/shareware programs out
there such as FixDisk or the already mentioned DiskSalv.

Hope this helps,
Christopher Jennings